Saturday, February 27, 2010

Drapery Planar Analysis


So, I've just finished working on our drapery homework. I was glad I didn't have to draw my kitchen again :) Here are some pictures of my still life:



I liked arranging the drapery, I put two piles of books under it to create some shapes. Also the whole planar analysis is interesting to me, I've never done it before, and it does help me to really as Jason says "reach the objects with my eyes" and try to really feel their shape and volume. The planar analysis of the drapery was tricky, I did several sketches of different fragments of it, and whenever I tried to break it in planes, it just stopped looking like a drapery!! A lot depends on line weight and how you use it...and it takes a lot of practice to figure it out. I'm only in the process of figuring it out :)

Drawing with charcoal pencil was irritating and very messy, especially in combination with the ruler! Ruler messes up everything!!! Charcoal though messy, creates a very good effect, it's so much stronger and creates so much more contrast compared to a regular pencil. I like how it looks on paper. I had to spend quite some time to clean my drawing with an eraser. I think I'm happy with it. I don't have much surroundings, hope it's OK.






2 comments:

  1. Wow, Ira! You're such a dedicated student, and I'm not just saying that. I just don't have that same gusto for the homework right now, but maybe I'll eventually get to that level. It must have been so frustrating to have to redo the whole assignment and get it super clean. I didn't spend too much time cleaning mine since the erasers mostly just smudged the charcoal around or smudged a line. I hate the mess too, but I like the effect the pencils have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you for encouragement!! I ended up just tracing my first drawing, so the second attempt to draw the drapery took me much less time!!

    ReplyDelete